Just a heads up, there are no photos in this post! I thought of posting this too far into the process to get pictures, so just bare with me.
A few weeks ago, I made some “life change” goals. I wouldn’t call it a diet, or a weight loss program, just trying to get a little healthier and trimmer. Some of my goals are to work out 3 times a week, drink less beer, eat more veggies, and to have a least one vegetarian meal per week.
I was a vegetarian a few years ago, and loved it. But, I was also vastly unprepared for it (and who am I kidding, I love red meat and bacon). But I did discover that it’s okay to not have meat at every meal! I feel best when I don’t eat it, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to totally give up my bacon, steak, hamburgers, etc. Am I a bad person for not doing it for the animals? oh well!
So anyway, back to our meatless Monday. I’ve had this can of black beans in my pantry that was begging to be used. I felt like they were just staring at me. I had bought it to try out a black bean taco recipe, but haven’t gotten around to it. Yesterday, I was craving some Mexican food so I came up with black bean & rice burritos. And let me tell you, they are wonderful! And only about 226 calories a piece, which is pretty awesome!
Okay here we go! Start out by making your rice. I used brown rice, which has become the new favorite in our household. The first time I made it though, I totally screwed it up. I didn’t realize it was that different than white rice. So here’s the easiest way to cook it:
1 cup brown rice
4 cups water
Put rice & water in a saucepan & give it a stir. Place on stovetop over medium heat, and cook for 30 minutes, uncovered. Once your 30 minutes is up, drain rice for 10 seconds, remove from heat and place lid on saucepan. Allow to sit for ten minutes, then fluff with a fork.
1 cup brown rice, cooked (see above for instructions)
1 can black beans, drained
1 serrano pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded cheese
8 flour tortillas*
*I had the small fajita tortillas on hand, so I had leftover beans and rice, but use whatever size you see fit!
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. While rice is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Once it is warm, add a tablespoon of olive oil and swirl to coat. Once pan is coated, add in your chopped onions. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and allow onions to soften.
2. While onions are cooking, cut your peppers. Cut stem end off of pepper, then slice in half. Cut both peppers this way. (it seems big, but they shrink while cooking) Mince your garlic.
3. Once onions have softened (about 5 minutes), add peppers to the pan and allow to cook for 2 more minutes. Add garlic, and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add in your can of drained black beans and stir to mix everything together. I let it cook for a few minutes while I got out my tortillas, sour cream and cheese. Remove from heat.
4. Assemble burritos: Scoop rice onto tortilla and flatten it down slightly with back of spoon. Layer bean mixture on top of rice, top with a tablespoon of cheese & a tablespoon of sour cream. Roll up and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
5. Spray or brush oil on burritos and bake in preheated oven for 10 – 12 minutes.
Enjoy! Sorry again for the lack of pictures, but I promise they are delicious!
Yields: 8 servings|Prep Time; 5 minutes| Total Cook Time: about 50 minutes|Per Serving: 226 calories